Cokethorpe Opera Festival
Oxfordshire’s Opera Anywhere and Cokethorpe School have joined forces to create The Cokethorpe Opera Festival which will be based within the school’s grounds near Witney and launched to the public next year. The collaboration will be a first for Opera Anywhere who regularly tour throughout the UK with their accessible staged operas and pop-up events, and demonstrates their commitment to delivering opera to a wider audience. Cokethorpe’s stunning grounds and buildings will be the backdrop to the festival’s events, which will include a performance with Oxfordshire pupils.
The Festival will include a number of Opera Anywhere’s successful Gilbert and Sullivan operettas, their ever-popular production of Mozart’s The Magic Flute, the moving and atmospheric Sister Angelica by Puccini and a new performance of Hansel and Gretel. The festival’s finale will be the magical Amahl and the Night Visitors.
Not only will Cokethorpe be the base for the Festival, it will also become the new ‘home’ of the opera company, providing vital rehearsal space and support facilities. Opera Anywhere anticipate that the school and its pupils will benefit hugely from close interactions with the Company’s professional singers and musicians, and the creation of invaluable and enjoyable learning experiences.
Festival performances include:
- Friday 26th April at 7.30pm in the Chapel, ‘Puccini’s Heroines‘
- Saturday 27th April at 7.30pm in the Chapel, ‘Puccini’s Heroines’
- Thursday 25th July at 7.30pm in the ‘Upper Quad’, H.M.S. Pinafore (Gilbert & Sullivan)
- Friday 26th July at 7.30pm in the ‘Upper Quad’, ‘The Pirates of Penzance’ (Gilbert & Sullivan)
- Saturday 27th July at 7.30pm in the ‘Upper Quad’, ‘The Mikado’ (Gilbert & Sullivan)
- Sunday 28th July at 3pm in the ‘Upper Quad’, ‘The Magic Flute‘ (Mozart) with ‘live painting to opera’ artists!
- Saturday December 14th at 3pm in ‘The Shed’ – indoor theatre ‘Amahl & The Night Visitors’ (Menotti)